A crispy, French pastry consisting of sweet and salty flavors within every layer, the Kouing Aman is the star of a small bakery in downtown Salt Lake City. My last blog post highlights Les Madeleines' delicacy, and after being introduced to the pastry’s existence on The Best Thing I Ever Ate—Salty Goodness!, I craved to taste this much-talked-about culinary masterpiece—and soon!
Last week, I just happened to be up in SLC, so I forced room in my schedule to satisfy my ‘unknown’ craving.
Now, it’s time to report my experience.
The bakery is sort of hidden amongst a few shops on 500 South, Salt Lake’s awful one-way street located right off of the I-15 exit. The place is on the left, so don’t pass it or else you’re forced to drive around the entire block again.
Luckily, the Google-Maps app on my Droid Razr led me directly there; otherwise, I probably would have never found it.
The only parking available is meter spots along the side of the road.
Honestly, these somewhat-negative factors only add to the bakery’s exclusiveness!
The bakery is very trendy with a make-yourself-at-home atmosphere expressed through its modern décor.
The case line was filled with many delicious-looking sweets,
but only the Kouing Aman was on my radar!
By the way, the first word Kouing is pronounced like queen,
despite the tricky spelling.
The pastry seemed rather small than what I imagined and for its $5.93 price. However, I did not allow myself to get fooled too soon.
The friendly employee placed the treat in a cute white box;
then I headed straight for a table to taste the goodness!
Had to take a few pictures to commemorate the event. Don’t those flakey layers look just divine? |
Well, the reviews didn’t disappoint: the Kouing Aman is most definitely a ‘queen’ of desserts!
The flakey outside opens up into gooey layers of sweet and salty zest that surely spark the tongue!
And don’t worry about having to buy another one to satisfy the craving, this flavor-packed treat goes farther than expected, even though I ate the entire thing by myself. :)
Kouing Aman = amazing!
Go to Les Madeleines.
Treat yourself to this French pastry.
Eat it.
Love it.
You won’t regret it.
No comments:
Post a Comment