Sunday, April 8, 2012

Cookies taste much better when they’re made for others :)

I received another inspiring challenge from my M Com professor:
“Find someone who is more stressed than you are and do something nice for them.”
This challenge struck me pretty hard because I sometimes find myself caught up in my own little world thinking that there’s no one out there more stressed than I am.
However, as I was listening to this homework request in class, I promised to intently find someone who could use an act of service more than me to brighten up their day—I decided to rely on a little revelation.

I can’t believe how fast that answer came to me.
The name of a sweet sister in my ward popped into my head.
She’s a full-time BYU student, volunteers at a nearby elementary school almost every day, is a manager at a jewelry store, and is the leader of the Relief Society Activities Committee.
I worked with her on our biggest RS activity two weeks ago.  She is not only very creative, organized, and responsible, but she is also extremely in tune with the Spirit which guided the committee to plan touching and memorable events this year.
I am a witness that each activity was divinely inspired by the Lord.

I made up my mind that I was going to do something nice for her, but I was just not sure of exactly what to do.
Naturally, I kept putting the assignment off all week.
(I’ve been procrastinating way too much lately.)

Friday rolled around way too fast, and I was planning to drive up to Salt Lake on Saturday to spend the Easter holiday with my family.  I needed to fulfill the service task quickly.  I began to rationalize that maybe doing something for the girl in my ward would be too much work and that I should just do something nice for a family member while I was in SLC.
My conscience stopped me quickly.
I knew I needed to act on instant revelation—so I began making cookies.

I happen to be an avid pinner and fan of pretty much everything on Pinterest.
Hey, I’m a girl.  What do you expect?
One of my favorite boards is my dessert board, of course!
I call it I wish I didn’t have a sweet tooth because I know I would be a lot healthier and skinnier if that was true!
You can you check out the board here.  It's pretty good, if I do say so myself :)
I had stumbled upon an easy recipe for Cake-Mix cookies a few weeks earlier, and the perfect time to test them had arrived! 
I whipped up the cookies in no time at all!  They are super easy!  I also listened to the Saturday-Afternoon session of General Conference while I was baking.  It was the perfect activity to do in light of this service!



The cookies were delicious! 
My roommates and I loved them (and we’re pretty picky when it comes to sweets).  I also had a few random friends try them, and everyone had seconds. :)
Moral of the story: try these cookies!
Just kidding, the true moral of the story is that doing an activity (such as baking cookies) is always more fun and uplifting if you’re performing the task in the spirit of service.
The girl was not home when I dropped off the cookies and a card, but I hope that her day was brightened a little by them.
(Hopefully she was not on a diet, haha.)
I know that my day was much better that it could have been because of this small act of service.  Goes to show that any kind of service is the key to a great and fulfilled day!

So, perform some service!
And try these cookies:
I got the recipe from this website.

Cake Mix Cookies
1 1/2 cups of yellow cake mix
¼ cup vegetable oil
One egg
Frosting
(I used Betty Crocker’s whipped cream cheese frosting with sprinkles on top!)

Mix all ingredients
Form into cookie dough balls
Bake for 10-12 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment