Sunday, March 11, 2012

The Best Thing I Ever Ate

Who spends their Saturday night watching the FOOD NETWORK while studying for a test?
I do.
And I must say, watching delicious food on a colorful screen can be a rather entertaining night activity, especially while cramming Geology facts into my brain.

Among my favorite 'crazy about food' TV shows are
Cupcake Wars, Chopped, Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives, Cake Boss, The Best Thing I Ever Ate!, and Man vs. Food (sometimes this show makes me sick, but I love watching it with my bros!)
All food shows have their incentives to warrant spending one's precious time watching them.  Every time I choose to waste my time in this way, I get the strongest desire to stick my hand directly through the TV screen and eat whatever is being featured (that'll be one of my three wishes when I find a mysterious lamp and a genie just happens to pop out)!

Luckily for me, The Best Thing I Ever Ate! - "Salty Goodness" was on!  Who would have thought that a cute bakery in Salt Lake City would be featured!  
Les Madeleines supposedly has a to-die-for french pastry called Kouing Aman.


Do you think that this bakery will be my first stop the next time I drive up to SLC?
You bet!
And, downtown Salt Lake is not too far away. How fortuitous!
Les Madeleines
216 E 500 S 

Salt Lake City, Utah 84111 
801-355-2294
Les Madeleines was also featured on
Road Tasted with the Neelys - "Salt Lake City"


As I was watching this show, I pondered on what food joints I would spotlight as 'the best thing I (Tahna) ever ate'.
A light bulb went off: what a great topic for a blog post!


So, here is a list of my favorite places to eat in Salt Lake City:


BREAKFAST: Market Street Grill
   
48 West Market Street (340 South) │Salt Lake City, Utah 84101
P 801.322.4668
This is a picture of the restaurant in downtown Salt Lake.
There are also two other locations in Cottonwood and West Jordan.

My family and I have been going to this restaurant ever since I can remember. Yeah, it's that good.

My usual: Market Street Eggs Benedict

I have been on the search to find a better rendition of this delectable dish but have failed miserably.  I can't order Eggs Benedict from any other restaurant because my meal just ends up in disappointment.



4708 S. Holladay Blvd.
Holladay, UT 84117
801-272-2491

Better than KFC.


I usually go to the one at the Gateway Mall in SLC, but this is a picture
of the Provo restaurant at the Riverwoods!

Nothing beats this Japanese restaurant!
(Besides authentic Japanese food from Japan, of course)

Appetizer: Vegas Roll

My mouth is watering already!  I love sushi!

Entrée: Teriyaki Beef Bowl
Just thought it would be a good idea to add a visual, 
even thought this picture doesn't do the dish any justice.


Juicy strips of beef, soft rice smothered in a sweet teriyaki sauce, and steamy tempura!
Nothing better. Seriously.


DESSERT: Normandie Cafe, Mrs. Backers Pastry Shop, and Banbury Cross Donuts
(I would eat at all of these pastry shops if I could!)


Normandie Cafe



This place is also good for breakfast and lunch, but my absolute favorite item at this restaurant are their butter-cream frosted cookies! This cookies makes my 'All-Time Favorite List' for the best frosted cookie out there!
Who can ask for anything better than a thick sugar cookie topped with mounds of sweet, fluffy frosting?  It's a complete package of sugary goodness!
I couldn't find a picture of this cookie, so I guess you'll have to visit the bakery yourself to try it!

Beware: these cookies are so popular that they usually sell out after the afternoon rush.  So, if you want one, call ahead and have them set some aside for you!


Mrs. Backers Pastry Shop

Mr. Backer married my parents in the SLC Temple and their wedding cake was made from this bakery.  We get a Backers cake for my mom's birthday every year.
It's definitely her favorite!
This pastry shop has been a family favorite for YEARS!
They have an array of sweets, but my favorite pastries here are their seasonal frosted cookies and raspberry cream cheese tarts!

The frosting is amazingly smooth and soft and the
cookie is perfectly crunchy.


Just the right amount of tart and sweetness!


Banbury Cross Donuts
705 S 700 E
Salt Lake City, UT 84102
801-537-1433

Since you can only get hot Krispy Kreme donuts in Orem, go to Banbury Cross for all your other donut craves!
I cannot explain how delicious these donuts are!


My favorite kinds are cinnamon sugar and glazed.
Yum!

Well, that's my edition of The Best Thing I Ever Ate -- Salt Lake City!  Choosing my favorites was a pretty difficult task, for I like all types of food, but these restaurants surely offer a special dining experience!

1 comment: